As a worldwide industry leader, EBSCO Information Services recognizes the importance of understanding local issues and making our presence known in the communities we serve. In order to achieve this objective, EBSCO supports all types of libraries — school, academic, public, corporate, and special — with contributions that serve as a natural extension of our business. And we also make significant contributions to a wide range of local charities.
National Library Association Membership and Support
EBSCO is a member of and actively supports several national library associations, including:
• American Library Association (ALA). EBSCO contributes to various activities of ALA. Examples include New Member Round Table; Freedom to Read Foundation; Library Champions; Association of Library Trustees, Advocates, Friends & Foundations; Ross Atkinson Lifetime Achievement Award; and conference scholarships
• Medical Library Association (MLA). EBSCO contributes to various activities of MLA. Examples include Annual Meeting Keynote Speaker; Annual Meeting attendee giveaways; Hospital Library Section of MLA; and conference scholarships
• Public Library Association (PLA). EBSCO contributes to various activities of PLA. Examples include Annual Conference sponsor; Excellence in Small and/or Rural Public Library Awards; and Annual Meeting attendee giveaways
• Special Libraries Association (SLA). EBSCO contributes to various activities of SLA. Examples include Diversity Leadership Development Award; Leadership Summit; Information Technology Division; Science Division; and Biomedical Division
• International Federation of Library Associations (IFLA). EBSCO contributes to various activities of IFLA. Examples include U.S. Delegates Reception; Annual Conference sponsorship; and Local Satellite meetings
• North American Serials Interest Group (NASIG). EBSCO contributes to various activities of NASIG. Examples include 25th Anniversary Dinner sponsorship and Annual Conference giveaways
• Association of College & Research Libraries (ACRL). EBSCO contributes to various activities of ACRL. Examples include Presidential Candidate Forum Luncheon; Chapters Council Breakfast; Community/Junior College Libraries Section Awards; Biannual Conference sponsorship; and Biannual Conference giveaways
• Miscellaneous library associations. EBSCO contributes to various activities of smaller, national library associations and events. Associations/Events include American Association of School Libraries (AASL); The Charleston Company; the Association of Research Libraries (ARL); the Association of Academic Health Sciences Libraries (AAHSL); International Congress of Medical Librarianship (ICML); Electronic Resources & Libraries Annual Conference; CODI/IUG Annual Conference; National Information Standards Organization (NISO); and more
Librarian Professional Development
EBSCO supports the professional development of active librarians in the following ways:
• Executive Seminar — Since 1989 EBSCO has hosted an annual event at the ALA Midwinter Meeting for executive-level librarians to discuss the latest industry developments and how to best position their libraries to meet end-user needs.
• ALA Annual Conference Scholarships — For more than 14 years EBSCO has provided scholarships to librarians (selected by ALA) for expenses while attending the annual conference.
• ALA Midwinter Conference Scholarships—- Established in 2010, these scholarships are given to librarians (selected by ALA) for expenses while attending the annual conference; recipients are recognized at a breakfast during the conference.
• Ross Atkinson Lifetime Achievement Award — Established in 2007, this scholarship is given to a distinguished library leader within the Association for Library Collections & Technical Services.
• MLA Annual Conference Grant — For more than 15 years EBSCO has provided four scholarships to librarians (selected by MLA) for expenses while attending the annual conference; recipients are recognized at a dinner during the conference.
• Charleston Conference Scholarship — Beginning in 2009, EBSCO has provided one scholarship to a librarian (selected by the Charleston Company) for expenses while attending the annual conference.
• The Joseph F. Shubert Library Excellence Award —For almost 10 years, EBSCO has sponsored this award that recognizes achievements by New York State libraries and library consortia of all sizes and types.
EBSCO provides broader support for the communities in which our business partners live and work. Our charitable efforts include:
• Contributions to local police, ambulance, and firefighters’ organizations
• Annual fund-raising drives for local United Way chapters
• Regular contributions to local Red Cross chapter
• Providing support to communities in need after major disasters
• Volunteering for local food drives
• The Alabama % Club — Founded by EBSCO in 1978, this unique group consists of member companies that commit each year to give 5 percent or more of their pre-tax profits to charitable organizations and other worthwhile causes